10 Essential Things To Prepare When You Are Ready To Start A Family
posted on: Friday, December 27, 2013
Are you ready to start a family? Do you think it’s time?
If you are ready for…
breastfeeding or formula milk,
school and school-related expenses,
going crazy from time to time,
…well, I guess you’re ready! Here you go!
1. You, as well as your partner, should both be ready to become parents.
2. Make sure that you have settled cultural and religious differences because they will affect both of you as well as the life of your future offspring.
3. Both of you should be financially-free (ideally) or one of you is capable of supporting your partner financially.
4. Find a starter house or apartment in a good location (preferably close to work/school and one that suits your taste) and stick to the budget you have allocated for it but plan on when you should buy a permanent home.
5. Open up a mutual fund account for your retirement, for your partner’s pregnancy, for your kid’s education, for emergency purposes, and etc. They should be placed in separate accounts. You can open an account for as low as Php 5,000!
6. You and your partner should talk about “when” to have a child because most pregnancies are unplanned but in the event that your partner gets pregnant, you already have finances allocated for it. Decide on how many children you’re going to have.
7. Talk about the possible lifestyle changes that you and your partner will experience once you already have a baby.
8. Decide on how you will handle childcare and work (like who’s is assigned to watch over baby while your partner is working or who’s going to sleep first and take rounds in looking after baby).
9. Don’t let marriage make your relationship a bore. Have a date with your partner every week (ideally).
10. Before I forget, have a healthy dose of humor, patience, understanding, and faith while you are starting your own family.
Do you have tips that you can add to this list?