I’m sure most of you have already been to this places.
Most places in Cebu are named after people, but who are these people?
Let’s start with the most famous street in Cebu:
Most of you probably know that Colon is the oldest street in the Philippines and is named after the famous Italian explorer, Christopher Columbus.
Cristóbal Colón is the explorer’s Spanish name.
Fun fact: His famous portrait shown above, is just an artist’s rendition of the explorer’s appearance. No portrait of Columbus in his lifetime appeared to have survived.
It’s more popularly known as Mango Avenue because the street was hedged with mango groves back in the old times.
General Maxilom Avenue got its name in honor of General Arcadio Maxilom y Molero.
Arcadio Maxilom was a public school teacher who joined the Katipunan and led the Katipuneros in Cebu after the assassination of their leader, Leon Kilat.
Its present name is Osmeña Boulevard, which is obviously named after President Sergio Osmeña.
Jones Avenue was named after William Atkinson Jones who sponsored the bill known as Jones Law or the Philippine Autonomy Law of 1916 which declares the US government’s commitment to grant independence to the Philippines.
The second bridge was opened in August 1999 to decongest the traffic from the older Mandaue-Mactan Bridge.
The bridge was named after Cebuano Senator Marcelo Fernan who died just a month before it was opened. The bridge crosses the Mactan Channel and offers a scenic view of Cebu and Mactan.
It is the street formerly known as “Nueva”. It begins from the intersection of Andres Borromeo Street and terminates at the intersection of Osmeña Boulevard (formerly Juan Luna St.).
The street is named after Paulino Gullas, brother of Don Vicente Gullas, the founder of the University of the Visayas.
Paulino Gullas (first row, first person on the left) established the local newspaper, The Freeman and was a Cabinet Member of President Jose P. Laurel. The Cebu City Council on April 4, 1960 enacted City Ordinance No. 285 renaming Nueva Street to Paulino Gullas St.
You might always hear this hospital in the news, especially when the Canister Scandal broke out in which surgeons secretly video-taped an operation removing a canister from a man’s anus and posted it on YouTube.
The hospital started out as Hospital Del Sur. After 84 years of operation, Republic Act 7528 was approved on May 21, 1992, legalizing the change of its name to Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center, in honor of Cebuano Senator Vicente Sotto, author of Press Freedom Law and grandfather of Senator Vicente “Tito” Sotto III.
Gorordo Avenue in Lahug was named after Juan Gorordo, the first Filipino bishop of Cebu.
Gorordo was born in Barili, Cebu, on April 18, 1862 to Juan Bautista Gorordo and Telesfora Garces. His father was from Vizcaya, Spain while his mother was a native of Cebu.
He studied in the University of San Carlos (formerly the Colegio-Seminario de San Carlos) and was ordained into priesthood in 1885. He was ordained as the bishop of Cebu in 1910.
Leon Kilat Street is the site of the University of San Jose-Recoletos, Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, two malls and the building of the Government Service Insurance System office.
It is named after Pantaleon Villegas, better known as Leon Kilat, who led a revolt in Cebu against the Spaniards.
Five days after the Battle of Tres de Abril, on April 8, 1898, Good Friday, in Carcar, Leon Kilat was stabbed to death by his aide-de-camp, Apolinario Alcuitas.
His monument in Carcar riding his legendary horse named “Puti” is a symbol of Carcar’s gratitude towards him.
It is the street starting at corner V. Rama Avenue and ends at the Fuente Rotunda.
The street was named after Buenaventura “Tura” Rodriguez who was was one of the greatest Cebuano playwrights along with Piux Kabajar, Vicente Sotto, and Florentino Borromeo.
He was elected as Governor of Cebu on December 14, 1937, defeating his friend and literary fellow, Don Vicente Y. Sotto. He was the Governor of Cebu when the provincial Capitol was inaugurated on June 14, 1938.
This famous street is named after General Inocencio Junquera who was a Civil and Political Governor of Cebu from 1893-1895. He was responsible for the construction of Teatro Junquera, the first house of entertainment in Cebu.
Junquera’s reign was marked by protests from the Spanish friars, who saw Junquera as a liberal (he was) because he supported church-state separation.
Sorry, no pic available since Gen. Junquera lived a long time ago before camera became mainstream.