Few hours from now, people from all over the world will be celebrating the dawning of the New Year and I’m pretty sure that most people won’t be fast asleep in their beds.
There will be fireworks or firecrackers everywhere! Those fireworks don’t just light up the sky and give us joy. They also give us awful health effects!
If you care for your health and want to be aware on its effects to our bodies, the Department of Health (DOH) has compiled the reasons why fireworks suck!
1. Fireworks displays increase the amount of suspended particulate matters (SPM) like carbon dioxide, hydrocarbons, and sulfur dioxide, which will make vulnerable people (pregnant women, children, and people with chronic asthma) prone to asthma attacks.
2. High SPM levels can give people eye, throat, and nose-related problems.
3. It can reduce your mental acuity.
4. It can give you headaches.
5. Fireworks can give off more than 140 decibels of noise, which can damage your hearing.
6. Increased levels of noise can make us restless or disturb our sleep.
7. It may create complications to people with nervous system, respiratory, and heart conditions.
8. Fireworks may increase your blood pressure.
9. It can exacerbate your current respiratory condition like bronchitis, sinusitis, laryngitis, pneumonia, and rhinitis.
10. It can exasperate coughs, colds, throat, and chest congestion.
So next time you watch some fireworks, bring some face mask with you!